What better way to energize our work than listening to an inspiring podcast or reading a great book? This month we are sharing our top 20 podcasts, books and TEDTalks on landscape architecture, urban design, and the built environment that invigorate our work.
20 Inspiring Ideas to Consume Now:
- Plans and Views of Public Parks, Frederick Law Olmsted
- The Field Guide for Parks and Creative Placemaking, Trust for Public Land
- TED Talk: A guerrilla gardener in South Central LA
- Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes, Claudia West and Thomas Rainer
- Principles of Ecological Landscape Design, Travis Beck
- Podcast: America Adapts
- Nature’s Best Hope, Doug Tallamy
- A Year in Rock Creek Park: The Wild, Wooded Heart of Washington, DC, Melanie Choukas-Bradley
- TED Talk: How to revive a neighborhood: with imagination, beauty and art
- Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World’s Most Polluted Places, Andrew Blackwell
- Podcast: Third Wave Urbanism
- TED Talk: How you can help save the monarch butterfly – and the planet
- The Uninhabitable Earth, David Wallace-Wells
- Podcast: Social Design Insights
- Silent Spring, Rachel Carson
- Podcast: Inside Engineering
- Street Fight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution, Janette Sadik-Khan
- Podcast: Gensler Design Exchange
- Overstory, Richard Powers
- Podcast: ASkLA Podcast
Looking for even more inspiration? Follow Megan Maffeo’s book club on GoodReads, Pathways and Places Prospective, for cross disciplinary discussion specific to urban design and transportation.
Stay tuned for our next 20 favorite ideas and follow our social media channels to learn about Floura Teeter’s history and the causes and organizations we support.